Who are the Friends of the Newark Free Library?
We are book lovers, information seekers, music and movie buffs.
We are young and old, with varying interests and backgrounds.
We treasure ideas and value the public library as a vital community resource.
We believe libraries are an important community resource.
What do the Friends do?
The Friends support the growth of library services at the Newark Free Library and encourage their use.
To accomplish these goals, the Friends:
· Support library programs with funding, refreshments, prizes, and our time.
· Raise funds for library improvement projects.
· Promote community awareness of libraries.
· Advocate for better state and local funding for libraries.
· Provide and maintain artwork for the library, the copiers, and a piano for musical programs in the library.
· Fund a scholarship in memory of former library manager Charlesa A. Lowell for area students working towards a master’s degree in library science.
· Collect and donate books for children and local agencies.
· Arrange exhibits of local artists’ work in the library’s display cases.
· Improve the library’s collections with donations to purchase special collections of interest to local users.